Monday, September 14, 2026

Slowing and controlling AI: uh, what about isolating it from outside communication?

What if the computers developing Artificial Intelligence (AI) stuff were not connected to the public Internet or any other network or means of communication? Duh?

We Must Pace the Frontier by Dario Amodei September 2026


This guy has gotten a lot of attention because of that article, which he posted on his personal website. His education is in biophysics, not computer systems. He's already made $15 billion through his Anthropic company. He can afford to slow down.

Read it for yourself. I read part of it but then started skimming. I kept thinking about my reaction to Hugging Face: 

Amodei states his concern about "OpenAI-Hugging Face incident (OAI-HF)". That is addressed in this podcast:, which includes:

Some people have said that I anthropomorphized too much in the way I told this story: “These are not civilizations nor do they have desires just like a CPU thread or a bunch of programs don’t.”
______________

Anthropomorphized is the past-tense form of the verb anthropomorphize, which means to give human traits, emotions, or form to non-human things like animals, objects, or gods.

No comments: