Monday, April 22, 2013

Google Blogger software problems.

I was using blogger.com before Google took it over.  Problems seem to be getting worse and it's driving me crazy.  Here the URL for my main blog, Radical Baseball:

http://radicalbaseball.blogspot.com

Integration with Google+, which seems to have achieved the impossible and become an even bigger unmanageable mess than facebook, has gone from working to working sometimes to not working.  Here is my setting:

"This blog is associated with Radical Baseball Google+ page."

When I published a post I was prompted to also share it on G+.  That worked.  Now it does not.

Now, I do not get asked to share.  I cannot share after publishing within blogger at all.  I click on "share" for a post listed among my posts and NOTHING happens.

If I bring the post into public view and click on share it only lets me share to my name, NOT my Radical Baseball Google+ page   NO option to change.  I've checked help, etc. and this is not addressed.  Trying to manually post to my G+ page from within G+ is impossible.  I have no idea how G+ works and I was VERY supportive of G+ from the beginning because I hate facebook so much but G+ is a mess.  Does anyone understand what the heck is going on inside G+?  I read stuff by Guy Kawasaki but it doesn't help.

And why can't I integrate stuff from Google Docs/Drive into blogger?  I cannot copy/paste from a Google spreadsheet into a blogger post and maintain any form.  It just looks like a mess.  I cannot find any way to accomplish this.  That's pretty basic stuff.

I finally figured out how to get a Google spreadsheet graph into a blogger post and it's ridiculously absurd.  I have to publish the graph, then copy the image html and paste that into the blogger post in html mode.  How about drag and drop?  Something.  Anything.  Google should be embarrassed.

I'm a big Google supporter but this stuff is really turning me off.  The problems, and I haven't even gotten into the sloppy editing and formatting deficiencies, are a genuine burden that slow the creation process and make me much less likely to even bother.  And I'm sick of seeing this all the time:

An error occurred while trying to save or publish your post. Please try again. Ignore warning

I used Wordpress while writing for a big blog and it did not have formatting problems.  I don't know about some of the other stuff since I was working within a corporate structure and not native Wordpress.  I hate the idea of switching but right now I'm not getting any benefit from using Google's blog service.  There is no integration with any other Google stuff.  NONE!

2 comments:

--David said...

I don't do any built-in integration if I can help it. My favorite site for cross-posting is https://ifttt.com/ - easy to use, and has yet to fail me!

RayCee said...

I have got to the point where I constantly get told it could not publish. When I try to upload a picture, it gets half way, then freezes. I cannot even modify existing articles. It started intermittently, but has now rendered my blog inoperative.
I left a note at Blogger about it, but nothing yet in reply. Not holding my breath waiting for a response. I even wrote about it before it totally froze:
http://raycee1234.blogspot.co.nz/
Frustrating as I have built up a large following.