Thursday, May 7, 2009

Personal mobile hot spot - this may be the one for me!

Apparently Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband service will have the MiFi 2200 made for Verizon by Novatel,  a mobile modem and WiFi router all in one device.  Cool.  I will definitely try it when it is available.

I read about in David Pogue's article in The New York Times.  See my e-mail to David below.  David mistakenly wrote this, which I corrected in the e-mail:

Cellular wireless routers, as they’re called, have been available for years...  the real deal-killer is that they have to be plugged into a power outlet.

_________________________________

to pogue@nytimes.com
date Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM
subject Wi-Fi to Go, No Cafe Needed
mailed-by gmail.com
hide details 9:21 AM (2 minutes ago)

David,

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/technology/personaltech/07pogue.html?_r=1

Interesting.  I will check it out.  However, I wrote about this concept months ago in my blog (OK, nobody reads it but it exists).

http://techthoughtsmatinale.blogspot.com/

Please note:

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2008

Personal mobile Internet connection

special router (Cradlepoint Personal Hot Spot - PHS300 Battery Powered EVDO Router ...

The modem plugs into the router. That provides the router with a connection to the Internet from wherever it is. The router also has Wi-Fi. That means that I have my own hot spot wherever I am. I can connect a PC but I could have done that by simply plugging the modem into the PC. I can connect multiple PCs. I can connect a PC and a Wi-Fi enabled device such as a non-Verizon smartphone, Palm, iPod Touch, iPhone, Skype Wi-Fi phone, which I have, etc. Ah, now you get it.

Ken

1 comment:

Kenneth Matinale said...

from David Pogue

date Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
subject Re: Wi-Fi to Go, No Cafe Needed
11:29 AM


The CradlePoint is OK. But it's HUGE and bulky and complicated compared to
the MiFi... not to mention, you have to supply your own cellular modem...

dp