Monday, June 13, 2011

Chromebook v.iPad2

Pre order Toshiba THRiVE tablet: no thanks.  I just got an e-mail message encouraging this.  I had signed up to be notified.  Thank goodness the Chromebook pre order opportunity preceded this or I might have been tempted.

This device, like the Apple iPad, makes my point.  The wiseguy in of all places the New York Times who questioned why someone would buy a Chromebook for the same money as a low end laptop never wondered why someone would buy an iPad, or any tablet, for the same money as either.

Since I don't like Apple, I'll compare my soon to arrive Samsung Chromebook to the iPad2, 3G versions.

Chromebook                        iPad2
screen 12.1" (1280x800, non-gloss, 16:10 apect ratio)           9.7" (1024x768, LED-backlit glossy widescreen)

full 74 key keyboard yes        none, only on screen
stays upright yes                   only with flimsy magic cover
weight: 3.3                            1.33 pounds
battery: 8.5                            9 hours
chip Intel ATOM N570 1.66Ghz    1GHz dual-core
ports VGA out, 2 USB           one USB for charging
camera 1MP HD webcam           Back HD recording (720p); front VGA

Except for the extra two pounds but still light, and the camera thing, which could be added, why would I prefer a tablet over a Chromebook?  Especially since the Chromebook should integrate nicely with my google account and free google docs, which is the smart way to do cloud computing, not like that pathetic proprietary imitation that Apple announced a few days ago.

No comments: