Monday, October 29, 2012

Verizon FIOS Battery Backup: for what?

Two days ago I received an e-mail message from Verizon which said in part:

If you have fiber-based voice service or FiOS® Digital Voice, the Battery Backup Unit (BBU) installed with your service supplies up to eight (8) hours of phone service.  Please note that your FiOS® TV and/or Internet service will not be available until your power is restored.
_____________________________

I replied:

I do not have voice service.

1. Why do I have a battery backup?

2. Why not design the battery backup so that the modem/router can be powered by it?  Better yet, so that a power strip can be attached to also power my Home Monitoring gateway and some small computers: smartphone, tablet, laptop.
________________________________

Note: The only phones that will work with no electric power are those old types that plug directly into a phone jack and do not require electric power themselves.

No comments: