Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yeah, it is a good idea.

Getting back on the horse. Don't want the attitude of an anonymous techie at 3gstore to influence me. Yesterday was aggravating.

Wireless usage so far is 700 meg since Dec. 3. That is about 23% of a month and usage is about 14%. Good.

I need to check what the penalty is for buying a new iPhone and canceling the service within 30 days. Cannot buy online from ATT. Even if I pay a penalty it may be worth it after what I saw on eBay yesterday. Prices around $550 for a $200 iPhone 3G. Verizon charges $175 but ATT/Apple may charge more if they anticipated my thinking. Also, may I keep the iPhone after cancelling the ATT service? Is there an additional penalty for that?

apple.com let's me order an iPhone 3G online. Along the way I get this:

An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan does not cover international data usage and charges. AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

All plans require an AT&T service agreement and are subject to AT&T credit approval. A wireless service plan with AT&T is required to use the wireless phone capabilities of your iPhone.


_______________________________________________

Notice: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required... AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan... A wireless service plan with AT&T is required to use the wireless phone capabilities of your iPhone.

They may have anticipated my thinking. No penalty info has popped up and I do not want to push it any further. Maybe the regular two year commitment is enough and ATT would try to collect it all instead of messing with a $175 penalty.

I also need to check if Verizon Wireless still has those plans for old farts: emergency use only, never turn on the phone, 30 minutes a month for $15-20. They do not pop up on the web site.

No comments: