I spent much monkey time cleaning up a lot more anomalies that I had realized were in my contact data. I did it in Outlook. I then did a Palm Hotsync specifying PC over rides handheld. It wiped out the data on my Palm and replaced it with clean data from Outlook. Data on the Palm looks good. What a relief! I then dumped the data in Outlook into a CSV file, deleted all records in google and imported the Outlook data into google. For unknown reasons 8 records had minor problems but the google contacts never looked so good. Syncing directly between the Palm and a web server is dead for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, Yahoo is up to its old tricks. It hangs when I try to compose a message.